Thursday 25 October 2012

Burnhouse Fishery

3lb Rainbow Trout

3lb Blue
Fished this lovely little fishery for the first time today with my brother. Burnhouse Fishery is a small loch of approximately 3.5 acres situated near Bonnybridge in Stirlingshire. We arrived at 8:00am and were given a warm welcome by Gary who made us coffee and gave us some advice on what flies to use and what had been caught recently. We bought a 4 hour, 2 fish limit then catch and return ticket for £16, tackled up and went fishing. Despite the weather being mild and a flat calm with the fish rising all over the loch, I caught two fish, a  3lb Rainbow and a 3lb Blue, both on Orange Straggle Lures, which I had tied myself. Both were caught near the surface using a very slow retrieve. I also had a few pulls and had two more fish on but lost them after a short fight. The two I caught gave me a great deal of satisfaction as they were the first fish I had ever caught on my own tied flies.
My impression on the fishery is that it well worth a visit, it is well run and the staff are very friendly and freely offer advice. The facilities include a cabin selling a small selection of equipment and hot and cold food.
The only minus was the road to the fishery, which is a single track with limited passing places.

No comments:

Post a Comment